Understanding A Family Member’s Drug Use
If you know someone suffering from a substance use disorder, you may be struggling with how to help.
It is not uncommon to have a family member who is misusing drugs in some way, and many are at a loss about what to do when a loved one is abusing drugs.
Here are five things you should do if someone in your family is abusing drugs:
1) Educate yourself about the disorder
2) Do not allow yourself to be abused
3) Don’t “enable” the behavior by colluding with the person dealing with the disorder in some way
4) If any essential aspect of your own life is in jeopardy, seek professional help
5) Attend to your own health and well-being